Thursday, October 25, 2007

Short day trip in Beijing

collage-TianAnMen
Arrived and start to queue up at the Netherlands embassy since 08.00 am, it's actually not too bad lah, I am the 2nd in the queue, and only 5 person when their office start to work. The visa application working hours is from 09:00 - 11:00, very short.

Then when it's my turn, after I submit all documents, the guy ask me:'You hold a Malaysia passport? You dun need a visa for visit that < 3 mths'. Fainted...waste my time to wake up so early in the morning

Anyway, since it's still early to catch a flight back, I take a cab and ask the driver where should I go to spend my few hours before going back Dalian. He bring me to 王府井, and told me just to walk along the way, then will visit few places that is hot tourist spot.

王府井, to be honest, I dun know this place before. By heard this name, I imagine it is an ancient place, since Beijing is famous as it is an ancient city. But, when I get there, it is just a shopping street! Fainted again...
It just a street, where both side is shopping mall, I didn't take any photo at this place, bcoz... I dindn't see anything special here... I am not shopping fancy girl anyway :p

So, the journey continues..next is the TianAnMen, 天安门, a symbolic of Beijing city.
TianAnMen-4
This place, is where they have army marching, national day celebration, and the national yearly meeting and those big big day event, as this is their capital city mah.
A lot of story can be tell, but I am sorry that I have very limited knowledge about China history, so, better not to give wrong information here :D

The TianAnMen Square is just opposite of the TianAnMen. This square is just a big big empty area, remember there is a time where the uni students has 'mogok' against the China government? Here is the place, where a guy standing in front of a tank, a picture shown in the Times magazine.

Center of the square, is the YingXiongBei, the 'hero statue'. Surrounding it, is the national museum, people hall 人民大会堂 [the place where the government held the annual meeting], and the President Mao memorial hall.
MaoPresident Mao Memorial Hall

You can give a respect to the President Mao body at this memorial hall, his body was kept there for people to visit, or maybe I should say give respect. The visiting hours is Tues to Sun morning, 09:00 - 11:00, 14:00 - 16:00. Have to bow when walking at that memorial hall, I didn't pay him a visit anyway, due to the time constraint :)
Mao-Visit-InfoPresident Mao Memorial Hall Visitor Information

Mao-Q-2SeeLong queue to the President Mao Memorial Hall, it's about 0.5 km I think

QianMenQianMen 前门

After this memorial hall, keep walking straight, it is another 'door'. The common name is QianMen 前门. Photo here tell it's story, a picture is worth than thousand of words :p
QianMen-InfoQianMen 前门 History

Walk walk walk... I have a destination actually -> the famous Beijing roasted duck!! The restaurant is just after QianMen. So, I am heading there for my lunch.
Ah but... when I ask the police about the direction, they told the restaurant was close for renovation! Fainted again!!! Luckily they have a branch at another place - HePinMen 和平门. So, I take the LRT to there. The LRT fare in Beijing is unbelievable cheapest in the world, only RMB2 for whole day trip!!

So, here is the roasted duck restaurant... story continue on another post...
Duck-Station-ExitStation exit to the restaurant

Duck-ResThe roasted duck branch at HePinMen

5 comments:

mh said...

RMB2 for 成日?系统有冇我地差?

mf said...

Ya... RMB 2 for whole day trip, it is convenient for you to walk around the city itself. Beijing is like London, has Zone 1, 2, 3...this ticket, covered most of the Zone 1, 2, which is the center of the city.

They making the LRT extends to the airport now, I believe it should be ready before the Olympic game 2008.

mh said...

sounds good, really can plan another trip to Beijing then, so you'll be my tour guide? :-)

mf said...

Me as a guide?? I only know way to TianAnMen, want? :D

Anonymous said...

真搞不懂为什么连王府井都不知道的人却常有机会免费周游列国,而我,虽然连弄堂都知道,却到现在还筹不了钱去...
是不公平的咯~