Friday, December 18, 2009

finally my home network is back to my expectation

finally i get my wireless router work properly with the new modem !!!

Was struggling with the new modem: DLink DSL-520B modem, I bought only the modem since I already had a wireless router: DLink DI-714P+. Then I found a strange behavior, the Google related account (for e.g. Gmail, Blogger dashboard) never load properly when I connect thru the router, even with the Ethernet cable. I tried the following:

1. connect directly to the modem by cable, access Gmail --> loaded very fast
2. connect modem to router, and then connect laptop to router by cable, access Gmail --> it show blank page after I click on the Login..

After checking with few friends that is more technical experienced in network, finally there is a guy telling me that it may due to the modem was not setup properly to use the bridging feature
--> modem should not used to connect to the ISP directly, but instead it should act
as a BRIDGE only, also IP is not applicable for the modem anymore.

And with further Google, this blog had help me to find the right way to configure the modem as a bridge:

1. http://swisscobalt.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-bridge-dsl-520b-with-wrt-54gc.html
2. In the wireless router, WAN setting should be set to:
- PPPoE
- User name = id@streamyx

so.. now i am happy browsing with Wifi again, thanks to all of those help me going thru this ;)

No comments: